The Best Way To Protect Your Dallas Home From Termites
Are you worried about termites in Dallas? These destructive pests can cause immeasurable damage to local homes. Find out more about how termites evade detection, signs of termite activity, steps to deter termites, and how pest control in Dallas can help. Termites are a dangerous pest, and it's important for local homeowners to stay on top of prevention and elimination methods.
You're Likely Never To See A Termite
Termites are known for being silent destroyers. They live their entire lives underground and within the nests they create inside wooden structures. Unfortunately, they can live for years in a home without being detected. The only members of the colony that come out in the open are the reproductive alates, and even they come out to mate just once before returning to the safe confines of the nest. For common pests in Texas, termites are almost never witnessed in action.
Signs Of Termites To Look For Around Your House
Termites can be hard to detect, and the best way to identify an active population is with annual termite inspections by a termite control professional. However, there are some signs that you can be on the lookout for, including:
- Mud tubes: About the width of a pencil, termites build these tubes to protect themselves from the elements when they need to travel above ground.
- Soft wood that sounds hollow: Over time termites hollow out the inside of our wooden structures leading to weakened, hollow-sounding wood.
- Uneven or bubbling paint: If you notice what looks like moisture damage with no source of water, termites are likely to blame.
- Termite frass: Termite droppings, or frass, resemble sawdust and can often be found near active termite nests.
- Discarded wings: After termites swarm, they discard their wings. You may find piles of these wings around doors and windows following a swarm.
Many of these signs of termites only become apparent after a significant amount of damage has occurred. While it's good to monitor for these signs, annual inspections can catch termites before they cause this level of damage.
How To Identify And Remove Factors That Attract Termites
It's no surprise that termites are attracted to wood, but what else about Dallas properties attracts these pests? Termites are primarily looking for homes that provide moisture and easy access. You can minimize these aspects with the following steps:
- Eliminate excess moisture by fixing leaky plumbing and maintaining drainage systems.
- Use dehumidifiers in poorly ventilated areas.
- Replace weather stripping and loose mortar in the foundation.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between the soil and wooden portions of your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home.
- Repair fascia, soffits, and roof shingles as needed.
These tips can help reduce the chances of termites in your Dallas home, but if a population does make it inside, you'll want to call for professional reinforcements.
Contact The Pros At The First Sign Of Termites In Your House
By the time you notice signs of termite damage in your Dallas home, the infestation is likely very advanced. It's important to address it right away with help from a professional pest control company. The experts at Lonestar Safe Pest can help you eliminate termites from your home and keep them from coming back. Our experienced technicians use modern pest control solutions to tackle termites, including liquid treatments and bait stations. We also provide a 12-month termite-free guarantee along with our services that is both renewable and transferable. Protect your Dallas home from termites with help from Lonestar Safe Pest.